Tuesday, August 7, 2007

OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY


This weekend we had our August Bank Holiday weekend. Traditionally this is the busiest weekend of the year on our roads as parents try to cram in one last trip before the kids return to school at the end of the month.
As I was entertaining a friend from Belgium, this gave me the opportunity to do some "tourist things" which are basically things we locals take for granted.
Friday night was a show at the Gaiety Theatre in Dublin called Riverdance. This was mad famous of course by the great Michael Flately but he has not danced in this show in years. This is the third time I have been to this show and to be quite honest it is a must if you are visiting Dublin this summer. It has a variety of Irish dancing, Flamingo dancing, American Tap dance, Russian Dancing and creative dance - all to the same Irish music. It was spectacular.
Saturday took us on a trip to Glendaloughhttp://www.wicklow.com/glendalough/. This is a famous monastic settlement and the scenery is just breathtaking. On the way home was a stop in Johnny Foxes pub - apparently the highest pub in Ireland.
Sunday was a walk around the city, drink in The International Bar for some trad music and then to the cinema to see The Simpsons movie - which I would reccomend not to be in a hurry to go to.
Then the last day of Davy's visit was spent in Newbrige with friends of mine - Therse and David. This involved eating and alot of drinking - I was driving though so I was on my best behaviour.
In all it was a good bank holiday weekend and I must try to so some of these local things more often.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You're right. It's easy to miss the things we take for granted. It's a grand oul country all the same. Thanks for linking to my site.

Alan